Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Be vulnerable.

Brene Brown- The power of vulnerability

"Learn to lean into discomfort"- BB

Great, enlightening talk. I realized just how overly vulnerable I am which, leads to the opposite effect of shutting down. I know it's a common scenario- we get hurt too much and too hard and in turn decide to avoid being available to others. Unfortunately this eventually leads to being unavailable to ourselves. At least in my case.

Funny, it took a few minutes of this video to help me realize that despite being in grad school for 1.5 years where I'm supposed to become aware of myself. Or I can say that thanks to the prodding of my academic program it has led me to the insight achieved by this clip; drove thought into action and mirrored my internal frame of reference into my external reality.  Yes, I'll stick with the latter.

Here's to being vulnerable.

4 comments:

  1. Allowing oneself to accept vulnerability comes with experience, which is not necessarily the same as age. Willingness to take chances and not fear failure so much as to be willing to learn from it will advance our ability to allow ourselves to step out into the spotlight with honesty and without shame. And like you say, self-awareness must in tandem with our surroundings. If we remain overly fearful of being vulnerable, then we will become debilitatingly vulnerable because we are afraid.
    Nice introspection, Michelle.


    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  2. Learning that now is better than never learning it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Arlee Bird
    Wonderfully put! Though I might add that invulnerability also comes with experience considering as children we are much more prone to be willing and open. "willing to learn from it will advance our ability to allow ourselves to step out into the spotlight with honesty and without shame" Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete