Tuesday, February 01, 2011

2011 Resolutions

February 1st is here which means I've somewhat successfully made it through the first month of another hectic year. Back in December, Gretchen Rubin's "How to Stick to your Resolutions" article help me articulate some goals I have for the present & future. Very helpful tips to stay focused!

Since the first month has now passed and I've made decent progress with said goals, I figured I could publish it without shame now. This week I'm going to try to actually formulate and fill out her "resolutions chart" that she shared to see if I can improve. Sticking to her outline, here they are:

What would make me happier?
  • (a) Something good: 
    • Feel better about myself (incorporate self-esteem boosters) 
    • Focus & find my center and/or passion; enjoy more
    • Write!
  • (b) Something bad:
    • Complain/whine less!
    • Stop/Lessen nagging!!
    • Be less jealous & insecure
  • (c) Fix something that doesn't feel right:
    • "atmosphere of growth"
      • learn new things, adjust beliefs, reframe things
    • myself & my outlook
    • relationship with Jonathan
What's a concrete action that would bring about change?
  • (a) Stay active: physically, socially, mentally, spiritually, emotionally, professionally, chemically
    • Blog to enforce writing--progress to NaNoWriMo
    •  Treat myself 1x/week if possible, at least 2x/mo (to anything)
  • (b) Turn negative thoughts into neutral/positive ones via reframing
    • Avoid being sneaky/slick/sly
    • Stay honest
  • (c) Try different things to see what works
    • Go on 1-2 dates weekly, spend time apart
    • Make "inspiration Board" to organize thoughts/ideas
    • Record everything (to not forget!)
Am I a yes/no resolver? (Do I do things better with a positive/negative connotation?)
  • Relatively equally motivated, depending on the situation.
  • Definitely not absolutist!
Am I starting small enough?
    YES!

How am I going to hold myself accountable?
  • Blog
  • Record things
  • Ask others for opinions & perspectives

4 comments:

  1. Admirable goals. Thanks for affording us this peek into your game plan for 2011. Makes me feel like I should fashion my own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm seriously impressed. What a list! I particularly liked the negative into positive idea. Could do with a bit of that myself at times. Thanks for visiting my blog btw.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you! Sounds like a great start.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the motivation everyone :) It's enforcing the accountability factor!

    ReplyDelete