Tuesday, January 18, 2011

What do you need most in your life?

Security. Reassurance. Love. Comfort. Health. Change. Stability.

All of which compose Maslow's basic needs. If I was asked this maybe last year, I would have prioritized adventure first and foremost. But with circumstances how they are in my family, my impending graduation, beginning my professional job-hunt, and paying off those daunting student loans, responsibility has begrudgingly taken precedents over fun.

But honestly, right now I'm starting to believe what I really need most in my life is the confidence to make grown-up decisions. Do I want to stay in NYC or leave? Do I still want my PhD? Do I even want to stay in this field? Do I want to face reality and start paying things off, or should I run to Europe and become a fugitive!

I'm a believer in the "everything happens for a reason" philosophy. I know that is how I've managed to get to where I am now. So I should trust my gut and hold on. But before, there weren't so many responsibilities attached to decisions. No strings, just leaps of faith I was naive enough to ignore the possible detriments of any decision.

Is there every a way to know you are making the better-for-you-decision? (Right decisions are subjective after all). Maybe it's just a matter of adaptation.

1 comment:

  1. Trust yourself. Hold on. Your words, not mine, but sage words indeed. There is never a way to know completely. Life is always about leaps. Lovely, lovely post.

    ReplyDelete